Labour & Employment Counsel (Senior) Lawyer Job in Ontario, Canada
A modern, forwarding-thinking university, Ontario Tech University (OTU) advances the discovery and application of knowledge to accelerate economic growth, regional development, and social innovation. OTU inspires and equips students and graduates to make a positive impact in a tech-focused world. It’s not only about developing the next tech breakthrough. Understanding and integrating the social and ethical implications of technology differentiates OTU as a university.
Join a small but mighty group of hard-working, collegial, dedicated, and fun individuals focused on building the legal, compliance, and governance foundations for this young, tech-focused university.
This is an excellent opportunity for a talented labour & employment lawyer seeking a dynamic role with an innovative and thriving organization offering work-life balance, meaningful work, opportunities to work closely with the General Counsel, and a collegial work environment with a strong, inclusive culture.
Job Description – Labour & Employment Counsel (Senior) Lawyer
Due to ongoing growth, OTU is seeking a Labour & Employment Counsel (Senior) to join its team. The role reports directly to the University Secretary and General Counsel (USGC), who serves as the OTU vice president with responsibility for the corporate secretarial, legal, risk management, policy, compliance, and insurance portfolios at the university. These functions operate within a department called the “Secretariat”.
The Labour & Employment Counsel will act as a strategic business partner working closely with the Labour Relations and Human Resources teams to foster good labour relations and achieve ‘win-win’ results. Responsibilities include providing principled and strategic legal advice on all labour and employment matters; working with labour relations to manage day-to-day grievances, mediations, and arbitrations, and supporting the bargaining team; and managing human rights litigation and advising on disability/accommodation matters. Where outside counsel is required, the Labour & Employment Counsel will manage the work and the relationship.
The position is currently remote but the team expects to return to the office at a future date. Some travel between campuses will be required.
The legal issues arising in the higher education sector are challenging and interesting, and you will have the opportunity to have a significant impact. If you have a proven record of accomplishment practicing labour & employment law in a unionized environment, we want to hear from you.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
* Act as a strategic business partner working closely with the Labour Relations and Human Resources teams to foster good labour relations and achieve ‘win-win’ results.
*Give principled and strategic legal advice on all labour and employment matters with a view to providing strategic value and big-picture thinking.
*Work with labour relations to manage day-to-day grievances, mediations, and arbitrations.
* Support the bargaining team.
* Manage human rights litigation and advise on disability/accommodation matters.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
* LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
* Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
* 7+ years of related experience in labour and employment law (either in-house or in private practice). Solid labour law experience is required.
* Skilled in arguing complex cases at arbitration involving various collective agreements.
* Skilled in mediations and in negotiating fair and reasonable settlement on behalf of the organization.
* Superior oral and written communication skills including excellent presentation and drafting skills.
* Excellent organization, planning and time management skills with proven ability to meet deadlines under pressure.
* Ability to effectively communicate to Senior Management and external stakeholders.
* Strong analytical skills and the ability to think systemically and strategically.
* Strong integrity with a commitment to maintaining the confidentiality of highly confidential information.
* Work well in a team environment.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
To apply for this job please visit www.thecounselnetwork.com.