We’re building a relationship-oriented bank for the modern world. We need talented, passionate professionals who are dedicated to doing what’s right for our clients.
At CIBC, we embrace your strengths and your ambitions, so you are empowered at work. Our team members have what they need to make a meaningful impact and are truly valued for who they are and what they contribute.
To learn more about CIBC, please visit CIBC.com
What you’ll be doing
With about 50 lawyers working from Toronto, Montreal, New York, London and Hong Kong, CIBC Legal manages legal outcomes by providing a full range of legal and transactional support services to CIBC’s businesses worldwide. As the Senior Legal Counsel, Personal Banking you’ll be providing legal services and advice in relation to Retail products and processes, including secured and unsecured lending products, overdraft services, and debt collection. Using strong independent judgment, broad-based legal knowledge, and a high level of professionalism, you’ll proactively work with our lines of business and functional areas, to execute on the business priorities of the Personal Banking business including the preparation of client facing materials and reviewing and advising on regulatory developments and requirements while mitigating potential legal risks. You’ll be reporting to the Managing Counsel, Personal Banking and provide excellent quality legal advice. You should be able to demonstrate strong drafting skills and advocacy capabilities, advise on data related issues, develop a point of view on emerging issues and trends impacting banking and possess strong team oriented leadership and organizational skills.
How you’ll succeed
- Legal advice – Provide proactive, responsive and sound legal advice grounded in the Bank Act, consumer protection laws and Codes of Conduct to designated lines of business to assist with the mitigation of legal and regulatory risk. Engage in negotiating, drafting and advising on matters related to Personal Banking lending products, both secured and unsecured, including regulations and developments in the law. Identify systemic issues and assist in the development of preliminary recommendations to assist the designated lines of business in addressing the identified issues.
- Research – Conduct research on legal issues and prepare opinions for review with the Manager, as applicable, and present such opinions to the designated lines of business. Review policies and procedures, as and when required, to ensure compliance with applicable legal requirements, mitigate reputational risk and reduce exposure to legal liability.
- Relationship building – Participate, as a team member, in various projects relating to product and service development by providing legal and regulatory advice, identifying potential legal risks, and assisting with the development of risk mitigation strategies. Develop and sustain good working relationships with designated lines of business by facilitating open communication and becoming familiar with the designated lines of business. Engage, after consultation with the Manager, external legal counsel and work closely with them to ensure efficiency, cost-effectiveness and a solid work product. Collaborate with colleagues in the CIBC Legal Department to share legal knowledge and experience, best practices and industry trends. Partner with functional groups such as Communications, Compliance, and Risk, in order to resolve legal and regulatory issues and provide subject matter expertise.
Who you are
- You can demonstrate experience in corporate or commercial law including significant experience with negotiation and drafting of complex agreements gained from a bank, a similar large financial institution or a top tier law firm. It’s a significant asset if you have experience with the Bank Act, provincial Consumer Protection legislation, and/or with lending products.
- You’re a certified professional. Successful Candidate must have been called to the Bar in Ontario and be a member in good standing.
- You give meaning to data. You enjoy investigating complex problems, and making sense of information. You’re confident in your ability to communicate detailed information in an impactful way.
- You act like an owner. You thrive when you’re empowered to take the lead, go above and beyond, and deliver results.
- You’re driven to succeed. You are motivated by accomplishing your goals and delivering your best to make an impact.
- You look beyond the moment. You make decisions and take actions that will make a difference today and tomorrow. You proactively seek new opportunities to define what’s possible.
- Values matter to you. You bring your real self to work and you live our values – trust, teamwork and accountability.
What CIBC Offers
At CIBC, your goals are a priority. We start with your strengths and ambitions as an employee and strive to create opportunities to tap into your potential. We aspire to give you a career, rather than just a paycheck.
We work to recognize you in meaningful, personalized ways including a competitive salary, incentive pay, banking benefits, a benefits program*, defined benefit pension plan*, an employee share purchase plan, a vacation offering, wellbeing support, and MomentMakers, our social, points-based recognition program.
Our spaces and technological toolkit will make it simple to bring together great minds to create innovative solutions that make a difference for our clients.
We cultivate a culture where you can express your ambition through initiatives like Purpose Day; a paid day off dedicated for you to use to invest in your growth and development.
*Subject to plan and program terms and conditions
What you need to know
CIBC is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all team members and clients feel like they belong. We seek applicants with a wide range of abilities and we provide an accessible candidate experience. If you need accommodation, please contact Mailbox.firstname.lastname@example.org
You need to be legally eligible to work at the location(s) specified above and, where applicable, must have a valid work or study permit.
To apply for this job please visit cibc.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com.