2022 SABA GALA - EVENT DETAILS AND AWARDS
The annual SABA Awards are some of the most prestigious legal awards in Toronto, celebrating the achievements of South Asian lawyers and their contribution to the legal profession. Once again this year, the SABA Awards will honour leadership and excellence in the profession by South Asian lawyers, as well as outstanding commitment by an individual or organization to the cause of diversity. We are also pleased to honour the first ever recipient of the Juriansz and Joachim Award for Excellence in Human Rights.
The nomination deadline is May 30, 2022.
SABA will be presenting the Legal Excellence Award, Diversity Award, and the Juriansz/Joachim Human Rights Award, the criteria for which are described below.
The SABA Legal Excellence Award recognizes lawyers who have achieved excellence in their areas of practice or have exceptionally contributed to the profession. Successful candidates need not have reached a senior-level position, however their track-record should reflect a strong potential for distinction and leadership. Nominations are invited from lawyers of all levels of seniority in law firms, corporations, government, academia and alternate legal careers. Nominees must be members of SABA as of the date of application.
The SABA Diversity Award recognizes an individual or organization that has demonstrated exemplary commitment to the promotion and recognition of diversity in the legal profession. Winners will be drawn from members of the legal profession not limited to members of SABA and organizations that employ legal professionals.
The inaugural SABA Juriansz and Joachim Award for Excellence in Human Rights recognizes an individual’s outstanding singular or cumulative contributions to the promotion and advancement of human rights as defined in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and other human rights legislation in Canada. Winners will be drawn from members of the legal profession not limited to members of SABA.
- Lawyers of all levels of seniority are eligible for nomination.
- Self-nominations will be accepted and are encouraged.
- Nominees can be nominated for both categories but are entitled to win in one category only.
- SABA reserves the right to propose nominations.
- Nominations must be received by no later than 5:00 PM on May 30, 2022. Late submissions may be accepted in SABA’s sole discretion.
- Nomination packages should include a personal statement of no more than two pages and a curriculum vitae. Letters of support are optional but not required.
- Nominations are to be sent by email to Monty Dhaliwal at email@example.com or Arun Krishnamurti at firstname.lastname@example.org.