Legal Counsel Lawyer Job in Toronto, Canada
The Ontario Ombudsman is an independent, impartial office of the Legislature that resolves and investigates complaints about Ontario government organizations, broader public sector bodies, including municipalities, universities and school boards, child protection services, and compliance with the French Language Services Act (FLSA). The Ombudsman recommends solutions to individual and systemic administrative problems, and promotes fairness, accountability, and transparency in the public sector as well as respect for French language service rights and the rights of children and youth.
Job Description – Legal Counsel Lawyer
The Ontario Ombudsman has an immediate opening for a Legal Counsel to join their team in Toronto. The successful candidate will actively operate across all units of the Office of the Ombudsman and positively impact Ontarians by negotiating changes to practices, policies, and legislations within the public sector. The successful candidate must be fluent in both French and English.
This is a unique opportunity for a highly competent lawyer seeking an in-house role with an outstanding organization dedicated to equality and justice and offering work/life balance.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
* Investigate serious and complex cases, prepare investigative reports, and provide legal advice and support to the Ombudsman and his staff.
* Negotiate changes to practices, policies, and legislations within the public sector.
* Assist with internal policy development and contract preparation, as well as conduct staff training.
* Represent the Office and participate in outreach activities such as conferences, symposia, and other events that connect stakeholders to the important work they do.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
* LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
* Licensed by the Law Society of Ontario.
* A minimum of 2 years of experience as legal counsel.
* Significant experience in administrative law and/or the French Language Services Act.
* Demonstrated analytical skills and ability to research complex issues, use sound judgement, and provide legal advice and support.
* Proven ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team.
* Strong interpersonal skills with the capacity to coach others through complex issues.
* Superior written and oral communication skills in both English and French.
* Knowledge of the Francophone community is considered an asset.
* Experience conducting administrative investigations is also considered an asset.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
To apply for this job please visit www.thecounselnetwork.com.