Legal Counsel Lawyer (Contract) Job in Toronto, Canada
A modern, forwarding-thinking university, Ontario Tech University (OTU) advances the discovery and application of knowledge to accelerate economic growth, regional development, and social innovation. OTU inspires and equips students and graduates to make a positive impact in a tech-focused world. It’s not only about developing the next tech breakthrough. Understanding and integrating the social and ethical implications of technology differentiates OTU as a university.
Join a small but mighty group of hard-working, collegial, dedicated, and fun individuals focused on building the legal, compliance, and governance foundations for this young, tech-focused university.
This is an excellent opportunity for a commercially minded lawyer seeking a dynamic role with an innovative and thriving organization offering work-life balance, opportunities to work closely with the General Counsel, and a collegial work environment with a strong, inclusive culture.
Job Description – Legal Counsel Lawyer (Contract)
OTU is seeking a Legal Counsel for a 20-month contract, covering a parental leave. Reporting to the University Secretary and General Counsel, the Legal Counsel will provide comprehensive, informed, principled and practical advice regarding a wide variety of legal matters, including corporate/commercial, procurement, privacy, regulatory, intellectual property, risk management, employment, litigation support and management, and conflict resolution.
As the preferred candidate, you will have a minimum of four years of relevant commercial law experience. You must have the ability to develop strong relationships and deliver exceptional client service across all faculties and administrative units at all levels of the institutions with ease. Success in this position requires superior analytical, reasoning, attention to detail, and problem-solving skills combined with sound judgement. Strong work ethic and the highest level of integrity and ethics is required. Experience advising post-secondary institutions is preferred.
The position is remote with occasional travel to OTU’s campuses.
Ontario Tech University is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from qualified women and men, including members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
* Review, draft, and negotiate a diverse range of commercial agreements including product and service agreements, technology and software agreements, licenses, leases, collaboration agreements, data sharing agreements, independent contractor agreements, consulting agreements, funding agreements, government agreements, and confidentiality agreements.
* Work alongside internal client groups to advise and educate on legal and business risk associated with agreements, proposals, partnerships, and other initiatives.
* Provide legal advice relating to access to information and protection of privacy, accessibility, accommodation, and copyright matters.
* Litigation support and management.
* Provide comprehensive, informed, principled and practical advice regarding a wide variety of legal matters including corporate/commercial, procurement, privacy, regulatory, intellectual, property, risk management, employment, litigation, and conflict resolution.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
* LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
* Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
* 4+ years of relevant experience in commercial law at law firm and/or in-house; experience advising post-secondary institutions is strongly preferred.
* Knowledge of FIPPA, AODA, and Copyright Act.
* Some exposure to or involvement in litigation management is an asset.
* Capacity to draft high quality legal documents with excellent attention to detail and ability to understand the big picture.
* Superior analytical, reasoning, and problem-solving skills coupled with sound professional judgement.
* Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects effectively and efficiently in parallel, work independently and self-prioritize.
* Ability to quickly develop strong relationships and deliver exceptional client service across all faculties and administrative units at all levels of the institutions with ease.
* Excellent legal drafting, legal research, communication, and interpersonal skills with ability to inform, influence, and persuade diverse stakeholder groups and business partners.
* Team attitude that no job is too big or too small with a willingness to pitch in and support colleagues as required.
* Proven ability to address complex problems and business needs while reasonably balancing risk that may require innovative risk management strategies.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
To apply for this job please visit www.thecounselnetwork.com.