Choice Properties Real Estate Investment Trust is an owner, manager and developer of well-located retail and commercial real estate across Canada. Choice Properties’ portfolio spans approximately 43.6 million square feet of gross leasable area and consists of 535 properties primarily focused on supermarket-anchored shopping centres and stand-alone supermarkets.
Choice Properties’ strategy is to create value by enhancing and optimizing its portfolio through accretive acquisitions, strategic development and active property management. Choice Properties’ principal tenant, and largest Unitholder is Loblaw Companies Limited, Canada’s largest retailer. Choice Properties’ strong alliance with Loblaw positions it well for future growth.
Under the direction and guidance of the solicitors of Choice Properties Legal Department, support real estate, leasing, construction and legal compliance matters in relation to the Choice Properties real estate portfolio.
- Draft, negotiate and review agreements to lease and leases, along with complex lease extensions, amendments and other types of real estate and commercial leasing agreements.
- Provide legal support to the national leasing team.
- Correspond with government departments, municipal bodies, law firms and tenants, as appropriate.
- Follow-up, research and advise on leasing and landlord/tenant issues or disputes arising from lease agreements and draft appropriate correspondence.
- Prepare and review all necessary documentation, including notices of lease, estoppel certificates, etc. as required under the lease provisions.
- Coordinate and manage the inflow of information for the purpose of delegating to support team and continuous updating of company databases.
Real Estate Matters:
- Prepare and process documentation in preparation for acquisition and disposition of real property, including conveyances and expropriations.
- Research, review agreements and give opinions on documentation/legal instruments in relation to easements, restrictive covenants and operating agreements.
- Assist with the preparation and registration of instruments in relation to change of title of corporate entities and removal of encumbrances from title, as requested.
- Review reference plans, plans of survey affecting conveyances, etc.
- Special projects as requested from time to time.
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Upper Canada
- 2 to 4 years’ post-call experience with excellent hands-on experience in the areas noted above obtained at a law firm or corporation.
- The ability to think and act independently with sound/strong judgment.
- High level of accuracy and strong attention to detail.
- Dependable, highly motivated and enthusiastic with strong initiative and the ability to work both independently as well as in a team oriented atmosphere.
- Exceptional organizational skills, and strong communication and interpersonal skills