Luke’s Place (http://lukesplace.ca/) is an Ontario non-profit organization devoted to improving the safety and experience of abused women and their children as they proceed through the family law process.
To support lawyers working with abused women, Luke’s Place has launched a 3-hour online training, “Effective Lawyering with Clients Leaving Abusive Relationships”.
This course is CPD accredited for 1 hour 20 minutes Professionalism Hours and up to 1 hour 10 minutes Substantive Hours. The fee is $125. To register and pay online, visit the Luke’s Place page on Canada Helps.
“Effective Lawyering” grapples with issues commonly encountered in family law cases involving woman abuse, including:
– A client who may present as confused, disorganized, disengaged and even hostile
– Challenges in gathering information from a client who is unaware of her financial situation, reluctant to disclose abuse and fearful of the opposing party
– Delays by the opposing party, including failing to file court documents, seeking repeated adjournments, lodging complaints against court personnel, bringing repeated frivolous and vexatious motions
– Abuse that doesn’t stop with separation including legal bullying and stalking of a client by the opposing party
– Harassment of lawyers and their staff by the opposing party